[Samba] oplocks, kernel oplocks, kernel share modes, .. - how it all works?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Jan 24 21:57:17 UTC 2023

25.01.2023 00:51, Rowland Penny via samba пишет:

> So, are we back to what I said originally ? that it is a BAD idea to locally modify anything in a Samba share and it should only be modified by Samba
> or from a SMB client ?

That doesn't work either. In our example, we release an application
(usually every evening) and some workstations might have the files
open still. If we'll do this using samba, it wont work because samba
will not let us to modify the open (and locked) files, it will just
fail for everyone if at least one client has it open.  People tend
to forget to close it and all sorts of other things.

In our case, the app and whole share is read-only.

And once again, this is about sharing files between unix and windows.
We either do that or we require samba private filesystem which can
not be touched by anything but samba.

/mjt