[Samba] Failed to convert SID to a UID for a computer

tizo tizone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:21:46 UTC 2023

We have a couple of hosts running Samba 4.16.5 as AD DC. Besides, we
have other hosts with Samba 4.15.5 as file servers. From time to time
the file shares that are mounted with cifs from some Linux clients get
stuck.

All I can see in Samba logs on the file servers, are message like:

check_account: Failed to convert SID
S-X-X-XX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXX to a UID
(dom_user[SMB\host-xxx$]), being host-xxx one of the Windows computer
client.

Is this message normal?. Or should I set an UID manually for Windows
computers as I do for users and groups (as idmap backend is ad)?.

What about the problem?. Could it be related to the message?.

Thanks very much,

tizo