[Samba] Delegation of control failure for any built-in Security Principals

Sorin P. psleo2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 22 17:56:47 UTC 2023

Yes I know that (Krb + SSH), but in this case, the keys are not for use by the SSH servers.They're used by the git server software which is able to retrieve them automatically from the "sshPublicKey" attribute in AD, and to populate the corresponding field for the user profile existent on the Git server.
But in order to do that, the users should be able to populate the field with their own public key, using a simple Python script which writes it there.
https://github.com/LasLabs/active-directory-tools/blob/master/ssh-keyman/ssh-keyman.py

Without delegating access through 'SELF', the users are not able to write the key value, and the script dies with this error:{'msgtype': 103, 'msgid': 4, 'result': 50, 'desc': 'Insufficient access', 'ctrls': [], 'info': '00002098: Object CN=Username,CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=org has no write property access\n'}

The schema was populated using these two LDIF files:
ssh_class.ldif------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dn: CN=ldapPublicKey,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=org
changetype: add
objectClass: top
objectClass: classSchema
governsID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.24552.500.1.1.2.0
cn: ldapPublicKey
name: ldapPublicKey
lDAPDisplayName: ldapPublicKey
subClassOf: top
objectClassCategory: 3
objectCategory: CN=Class-Schema,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=org
defaultObjectCategory: CN=ldapPublicKey,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=org
mayContain: sshPublicKey
schemaIDGUID:: +8nFQ43rpkWTOgbCCcSkqA==

ssh_class.ldiff------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dn: CN=sshPublicKey,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=org
changetype: add
objectClass: top
objectClass: attributeSchema
attributeID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.24552.500.1.1.1.13
cn: sshPublicKey
name: sshPublicKey
lDAPDisplayName: sshPublicKey
attributeSyntax: 2.5.5.10
oMSyntax: 4
isSingleValued: FALSE
objectCategory: CN=Attribute-Schema,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=org
searchFlags: 8
schemaIDGUID:: cjDAZyEXzU+/akI0EGDW+g==

How can I overcome this problem? I really need to allow users to write their own sshPublicKey attribute.
Thanks a lot.Sorin

    On Sunday, January 22, 2023 at 07:32:13 PM GMT+2, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

On 22/01/2023 17:15, Sorin P. wrote:
> Hi Rowland.
>
> What else can I use instead "SELF" then?
> I'm trying to allow AD users to self-write sshPublicKeys attribute,
> which I've already added to the schema.

you do realise that properly setup, SSH will work with kerberos, without
keys or passwords.

> Additionally, the same error appears when choosing "Everyone" instead
> "SELF".

These Well Know SIDs do not have anything to map them to. If you must
use keys, then surely the attribute is part of the uses AD object and as
such should be owned by the user, who should have write permission.

As I said (in a round about way), I use kerberos instead of keys.

Rowland