[Samba] samba 4.18.0rc1 RPM build tools for RHEL and Fedora

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 11:54:24 UTC 2023

I've invested some work in my tools at
https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo/ for building Samba updates on
RHEL 8, RHEL 9, and Fedora 37. I had to apply some structural work to
get it to play nicely with the separately built libraries, due to
.so.* name changes, and the librares bing  used by sssd. I've had to
compile the libraries with the "withincludes" switch.

        libldb
        libtalloc
        libtdb
        libtevent

Otherwise, these and packages like "tdb-tools" and "python3-tevent"
conflict with those built directly from those distinct libraries.
Updating those libraries to match the available or required ones for
Samba use would mean rebuilding sssd as well, which is more than I can
personally take on.

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be possible to update those
libraries with the requirements for Samba 4.17 or 4.18 until Fedora 38
or later, and I suspect that RHEL 8 and 9 will never be possible to
commercially update past Samba 4.16 due to Red Hat's investment in
sssd and the FreeIPA server in preference to its investment in Samba
support. The irony is palpable, since sssd and FreeIPA are quite
reliant on the underlying Samba libraries. and provide what I consider
to be a less reliable client experience. But tastes vary.

Nico Kadel-Garcia