[Samba] Files suddenly go readonly

Greg Dickie greg at justaguy.ca
Thu Jan 19 19:14:10 UTC 2023

OK, really appreciate your time for considering it. I did broach the
subject of upgrading the server to a more palatable OS and that seems to
have been received well. I'll try to accelerate the migration away from NIS
as well.

Thanks again,
Greg

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 1:29 PM Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 19/01/2023 17:33, Greg Dickie wrote:
> > Halp?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Greg
> >

> The problem is that you seem to be running a mish-mash of a system.
>
> Samba is using the uidNumber and gidNumber attributes it finds in AD for
> the users and groups. However there also seems to be NIS involved and
> with the best will in the world, the Samba user 'fred' will never be the
> same user as the NIS user 'fred'. It could be that the 'NIS' user is
> getting different permissions to the AD user.
>
> I do not feel that I can help further because I do not have access to
> your system (nor do I want it). The only further input that I can offer
> is, you need to use one authentication system and I think you know which.
>
> Rowland
>

> --

Greg Dickie
just a guy