[Samba] Files suddenly go readonly

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jan 19 18:28:35 UTC 2023

On 19/01/2023 17:33, Greg Dickie wrote:
> Halp?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

The problem is that you seem to be running a mish-mash of a system.

Samba is using the uidNumber and gidNumber attributes it finds in AD for
the users and groups. However there also seems to be NIS involved and
with the best will in the world, the Samba user 'fred' will never be the
same user as the NIS user 'fred'. It could be that the 'NIS' user is
getting different permissions to the AD user.

I do not feel that I can help further because I do not have access to
your system (nor do I want it). The only further input that I can offer
is, you need to use one authentication system and I think you know which.

Rowland