[Samba] Files suddenly go readonly

Greg Dickie greg at justaguy.ca
Wed Jan 18 18:37:24 UTC 2023

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 12:20 PM Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 18/01/2023 17:05, Greg Dickie wrote:
>
> > Agree but this was a standalone server that we are now transitioning
> > into the domain and as long as the UIDs and GIDs match everything should
> > be ok no?
> >

> >     Is it possible to see your smb.conf used on the Unix machines ?
> >

> > O=Sure
> >
> > [global]
> >          workgroup = TOTO
> >          server string = Samba on SRVLXFS2
> >          realm = TOTO.CA <http://TOTO.CA>
> >          security = ads
> >          kerberos method = secrets only
> >          winbind use default domain = true
> >          winbind offline logon = false
> >          winbind nss info = rfc2307
> >          winbind enum users = yes
> >          winbind enum groups = yes
> >          idmap config * : range = 16777216-33554431
> >          idmap config ULTRATCS : schema mode = rfc2307
> >          idmap config ULTRATCS : backend = ad
> >          idmap config ULTRATCS : range = 500-10000
> >          idmap config ULTRATCS : unix_primary_group = yes
> >          idmap config ULTRATCS : unix_nss_info = yes
>
> Oh dear, unless it's bad sanitisation, you have a big problem.
> Your workgroup is 'TOTO' but you are using 'ULTRATCS' for the idmap
> config lines, it should be the workgroup name 'TOTO'

Damit, that's just bad sanitization. sorry, pretend you did not see that.

> >          idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
> >          template homedir = /home/%U
> >          min domain uid = 0
> >         unix extensions = no
> >         wide links = yes
> >
> >         printing = cups
> >         printcap name = cups
> >         load printers = no
> >         cups options = raw
> >          log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m.%U
> >          log level = 0
> >          max log size = 50M
> >          #syslog = 0
> >
> > [homes]
> >          comment = Home Directories
> >          browseable = no
> >          writable = yes
> > #        create mask = 0664
> > #        directory mask = 0775
> >          force create mode = 0775
> >          force directory mode = 0775
> > #        force security mode = 664
> > #        force directory security mode = 775
> >          map archive = no
>
> I think you will find that everyone can get into everyone else's homedir

Yes, it was like that before I got to it, so I just left it.

> >     This has been working fine but now I have some
> >      > users who suddenly lose write access to their files, sometimes.
> >     One user
> >      > has 2 workstations (1 works always, the other exhibits this issue
> >     so maybe
> >      > a patch on the workstation?). When this happens IF I give their
> >     files group
> >      > write permission they are good again. Does this ring a bell? I
> >     have a level
> >      > 10 debug of an ACCESS_DENIED test but nothing in there looks
> >     obviously
> >      > wrong until the ACCESS_DENIED so I can't see why.
> >
> >     Are they supposed to have 'user' permissions or just 'group'
> >     permissions, also are you using extended ACL's ?
> >

> > user permissions, all the users on this system have the same primary
> > group of 1000, No ACLs, or at least not supposed to be.
>
> Would '1000' be the gidNumber for Domain Users ?

It's not, It's another group, see below which shows AD mapping vs NIS
mapping:

[root at srvlxfs2 ~]# wbinfo -i gdickie
gdickie:*:1014:1000:Dickie, Greg:/home/gdickie:/bin/bash
[root at srvlxfs2 ~]# wbinfo --gid-info=1000
engineering access:x:1000:
[root at srvlxfs2 ~]# id gdickie
uid=1014(gdickie) gid=1000(fpga) groups=1000(fpga)
[root at srvlxfs2 ~]#

Again, this has all been working 99% except for a few select users at some
times. And at those times the uid as shown in smbstatus is correct.

I don't suppose you want to see the level 10 debug log?

Thanks,
Greg

> Rowland
>
> --