[Samba] Default route mandatory on a Samba member server?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jan 17 13:22:40 UTC 2023

On 17/01/2023 13:13, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:

> Op 17-01-2023 om 14:02 schreef Rowland Penny via samba:
>>

>> On 17/01/2023 12:49, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> Is a default route and gateway mandatory on a Samba member server?
>>
>> I would have thought they were mandatory on any computer, never mind
>> Samba.
>
> No, they are not required on any computer.
>
> It is just to give you access to other networks than your own. And in
> nearly al situations that is what you want.
> You probably need internet access (i.e. default route/gw) to install
> samba (or do you have an apt-proxy in the local network?)...?
>
> - Kees
>

>>> The AD DCs, the workstations and the Samba member server are on the
>>> same network segment. As the member server only serves files to the
>>> local network, I assume that neither gateway, nor default route are
>>> necessary. For updates, gateway and default route could be defined.
>>
>> I am struggling to understand why you wouldn't set them (or want to),
>> how is the computer supposed to connect to anything ?
>>
>> Rowland

Perhaps you could get away with not setting the gateway, but surely you
need to set the route ? Otherwise, how does the computer know which
network device to use (even if you only have one) and what network to
connect to.

I have in the past had instances of no connection to my local network
when setting up a new machine and this always came down to the route not
being set.

Rowland