[Samba] Transferring fsmo roles to new DC2

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 16 11:32:31 UTC 2023

On 16/01/2023 11:04, Callum G. MacEwan via samba wrote:
>>> No using internal bind
>>
>> I take it that means the internal dns server and not a separate dns
>> server.
> Yes you are correct sorry . Samba's internal DNS
>>
>> Hmm, so it isn't in the 'Default-First-Site-Name' site, I wonder if
>> this is the problem ? Let me go and have a read of the code and get
>> back to you.
>>
> Thank you

This is getting interesting, the code to transfer the dns FSMO roles
searches in:
'CN=Infrastructure,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=balewan,DC=pegasusnz,DC=com'

for the 'fSMORoleOwner' attribute, which it must be finding, or you
would have got this message:

* The 'forestdns' role does not have an FSMO roleowner

The code then sets a few names and then tries to delete the existing
FSMO role owner, but you are getting:

ERROR: Failed to add role 'forestdns': LDAP error 16
LDAP_NO_SUCH_ATTRIBUTE -  <attribute 'fSMORoleOwner': no matching
attribute value while deleting attribute on
'CN=Infrastructure,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=balewan,DC=pegasusnz,DC=com'> <>

Which is a bit strange, it initially found it, but when it tried to
delete it, it couldn't find it.

I will have to dig into this a bit deeper.

Rowland