[Samba] Transferring fsmo roles to new DC2

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 16 10:52:16 UTC 2023

On 16/01/2023 10:31, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:

> This is exactly the message I were seeing when trying to transfer FSMO
> roles.
> Rowland said it is due to me using unsupported configuration.

Well, that is because you are running Samba in an unsupported way, what
you do on your system is your concern, but please do not push it on here.

> Probably you too is using something unsupported ;))
>
>> What's the best thing to resolve this? seize the roles perhaps?
>
> I ended up stealing FSMO roles from another DC, with removing this one.
> It bought some other issues (not removing stale DNS record for the old
> DC, and non-working inter-DC replication, both can be fixed by manually
> doing things).
>
> I'd not say this is the best way though. The best way is to find the bug
> in samba and fix it.

Whilst there may be a bug, I somehow doubt it, it could be numerous
other things, including the domain having started out as an old Windows
2003 domain.

Rowland