[Samba] How to login with local account while Samba in AD?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jan 11 11:56:27 UTC 2023

On 11/01/2023 11:28, Leszek Szczepanowski via samba wrote:
> Dears,
>
> Forgive me maybe stupid question, but can I login to Samba share, with
> local credentials, while it has joined AD domain? For now it seems it
> always tries to authenticate every user in AD. We have issues with AD
> itself, and until this is resolved I wanted to allow users use just one
> common user/pass pair to access the share.

That is how Samba is supposed to work, it maps AD users to make them
local users, this depends on the idmap backend and is one of the reasons
not use a DC as a fileserver.

You might be able to use the nss backend, but this will undoubtedly mean
your users and groups getting different ID's.

It might be easier to fix your AD, so what are your AD issues ?

Rowland