[Samba] [4.13.13-Debian] " reopen_one_log: Unable to open new log file '/var/log/samba/': Is a directory"?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jan 11 11:14:36 UTC 2023

On 11/01/2023 11:03, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:
> 11.01.2023 13:58, Gilles via samba wrote:
>> On 11/01/2023 11:38, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>>> [global]
>>>
>>> Having now seen the smb.conf, the fix is easy ;-) In smb.conf there
>>> is:  disable netbios = Yes
>>> This means that NetBIOS isn't being used, the only reason to run nmbd
>>> is for NetBIOS, so turn nmbd off and stop it ever running again.
>>
>> If I turn off NetBIOS (which also means "net view" is no long
>> available on Windows), what should I use in the log file instead?
>
> There's no need to turn off netbios on windows.

Yes there is.
Microsoft are very near to being down on their knees begging people to
stop using NetBIOS, because it relies on SMBv1, which is very, very
insecure.

Samba is working hard on totally removing SMBv1 and they are getting
very near to doing this.
The sooner that anyone can move to other methods the better, it will be
less painful when SMBv1 is removed from Samba.

> Net view, browse lists and that stuff is useful.

Yes, it is useful, but it isn't the only way of doing things.

> But windows connects to SMB servers (other windows or samba) using port
> 445 first,
> where netbios is not used.

Not quite, if NetBIOS isn't used, then only port 445 is used

> An alternative for %m is, for example, %I

That may work, never tried it, but it may still suffer with the same
problem, nmbd may not be able to get the data because NetBIOS is
disabled in smb.conf

Rowland