[Samba] Directly setting unicodePwd - better type of hash?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jan 6 13:07:30 UTC 2023

On 06/01/2023 11:41, Edward Graham via samba wrote:
> No, I would (probably) not, but I consider samba better product and with it's open nature more versatile.
>
> Anyway, thank you for clarification.

Samba AD tries to be compatible with Windows AD, so this means that a
Samba AD DC, like a Windows AD DC, uses the unicode password. If it used
anything else, then it wouldn't work with Windows.

What Samba does give you, is the possibility of syncing the password
with external programs (openldap, mysql etc), something that I don't
think Windows does.

You are the first person that wanted to go the other way and use a
different password mechanism.

Rowland