[Samba] Slow login after samba upgrade

Max Serafini max at marigoldsandonions.com
Sun Jan 1 13:01:51 UTC 2023

Hi.

We upgraded from Samba 4.7 to Samba 4.17.  Main reason is to allow Win 11
update 22H2 to work on the domain.
Upgrade done by running add-apt-repository ppa:linux-schools/samba-latest

We have two DCs.

Ramifications.
1. Login is now extremely slow particularly on a terminal server running
Windows 2012 R2.  Before the upgrade login was instant.  Now it takes 2+
minutes.

2. On the 2012 server we installed AD management tools.  Using AD Users and
Computers, change domain controller function, the window is not responding
for about 2+ minutes, then the error:
'The list of Domain Controllers for domain ... is unavailable because: The
RPC server is unavailable.'
Attempting the switch straight after the list populates the DC sometimes
changes quickly and some other times it shows:
'Unable to connect to the Domain Controller because: The remote procedure
call failed and did not execute.'
Eventually it works.

3. netlogon sysvol share browsing.  In file explorer entering either
server's path, \\dc2 or \\dc3 it sits for 2+ minutes and then it says:
'\\dc3 is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this
network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
you have access permissions.  The remote procedure call failed.'
Re-entering the path, \\dc3 and the shares load just fine.

If you could please advise.  Thank you.