[Samba] Unable to add Point and Print printers to clients with Windows 8.1 and up

Thomas Keppler winfr34k at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 22:20:41 UTC 2023

Hi all,

the driver hint really helped. The PostScript drivers opposed to the PCL6 ones work fine.
However, isn't this a little strange? What sets these apart in ways that concern the print _server_?

Funnily enough, not even the "SHARP UD3" driver in PCL6 mode has worked. Only the PS version of the original driver (UD3 is PCL6 only).

Big caveat: I still need to test if something useful comes out of the printer if I do it that way, I'm not near the printer's location right now. It's installable now though which is so far so good.
This also made it possible to setup printing defaults which is useful. Windows 10 works like a charm, too.

Another neat trick I found by searching the web, that _hasn't_ helped in my case but might be worth a shot for a lost soul browsing the archives years from now:

> There is a little trick for Canon, Sharp, Konica Minolta printers that makes a system think that the driver is package-aware. To do it, open the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Enviroments\Windowsx64\Drivers\…\Driver name\ branch of the registry on the Print Server and change the value of  PrinterDriverAttributes key for the specific driver by adding 1 to the current value. In my case, the attribute value has been equal to 5, and I have changed it to 6. The same has to be done for the driver attribute in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Enviroments\Windowsx NT x86\Drivers…\Driver name\. After the restart, Canon network printers start to connect without any warnings.

Source: https://woshub.com/unable-to-install-print-driver-after-kb3170455/

It works exactly like it is described above (you need to use regedit.exe on a Windows client with RSAT tools and connect to your print server) but that also didn't change anything for me.

Any ideas what could cause this difference between those two driver types? Is there some Windows protocol magic going on or something that is disabled by Samba?

More questions than answers -- but at least a workaround, it seems. I'll keep you posted if this is a viable workaround for now.

--
Sincerely
Thomas Keppler