[Samba] Missing Files/Missing Folders from an NFS Share

Conor Armstrong conorarmstrong at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 12:18:20 UTC 2023

Just by way of update on this, it looks like the problem exists with the
ReadDir, TellDir and SeekDir implementation on NFS shares.  In my case it
was an AWS EFS share that uses NFS.

The fix in the samba code isn't straightforward.  As a workaround on my
case I discovered that if I mount the NFS share at say /mnt/mountpoint1 and
the use sshfs to connect back into the same machine and mount at
/mnt/mountpoint2 the /mnt/mountpoint1 directory I can then share the
/mnt/mountpoint2 share with Samba and the sshfs layer that sits between
Samba and the NFS mount seems to correct the issues that are present if t
the mounted NFS share were shared with Samba directly.

So instead of

NFS -> /mnt/mountpoint1 and /mnt/mountpoint1 -> Samba -> Windows Client

I use

NFS -> /mnt/mountpoint1 and /mnt/mountpoint1 -> /mnt/mountpoint2 (via
sshfs) and /mnt/mountpoint2 -> Samba -> Windows Client

There is a performance hit in doing this, but it is something I can live
with.

For the record, I tried a simple passthrough FUSE mount, but couldn't get
that to work correctly.