[Samba] WERR_INTERNAL_ERROR on samba-tool domain join

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Feb 23 21:32:13 UTC 2023

On Thu, 2023-02-23 at 21:27 +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On 23/02/2023 20:16, Stephen Vose via samba wrote:
> > > You can ignore anything after 'Join failed', the join error has
> > > already happened and it looks like a replication problem. Does
> > > the first Nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf point to the first DC
> > > ?How is /etc/hosts setup ?
> > > Rowland
> >
> > /etc/resolv.conf-----------------------------------------#
> > Generated by NetworkManager
>
> OK, this is a DC and in my opinion everything about DNS should be
> fixed, I normally remove network-manager etc and set a fixed IP.
> > search privatedomain.comnameserver 192.168.0.251nameserver
> > 192.168.0.250
> > /etc/hosts:-----------------------------------------127.0.0.1
> > localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4
> > localhost4.localdomain4::1        localhost localhost.localdomain
> > localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6192.168.0.251     shp-
> > dc2.privatedomain.com shp-dc2
>
> As your first DC appears to be called shp-dc1 and the ipaddress for
> shp-dc2 is 192.168.0.251, you have the nameservers the wrong way
> around (at least at first). I would switch them around and try again.
> Once you get the DC join to work, switch them back.
> Rowland

As the remote server is returning INTERNAL_ERROR to GetNCChanges local
name resolution will not be what is causing this.
Andrew,

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions