[Samba] WERR_INTERNAL_ERROR on samba-tool domain join

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Feb 23 21:27:14 UTC 2023

On 23/02/2023 20:16, Stephen Vose via samba wrote:
>> You can ignore anything after 'Join failed', the join error has
>> already happened and it looks like a replication problem. Does the
>> first Nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf point to the first DC ?
>> How is /etc/hosts setup ?
>>
>> Rowland
>

> /etc/resolv.conf
> # Generated by NetworkManager

OK, this is a DC and in my opinion everything about DNS should be fixed,
I normally remove network-manager etc and set a fixed IP.

> search privatedomain.com
> nameserver 192.168.0.251
> nameserver 192.168.0.250
>
> /etc/hosts:
> 127.0.0.1     localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4
> localhost4.localdomain4
> ::1        localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6
> localhost6.localdomain6
> 192.168.0.251     shp-dc2.privatedomain.com shp-dc2

As your first DC appears to be called shp-dc1 and the ipaddress for
shp-dc2 is 192.168.0.251, you have the nameservers the wrong way around
(at least at first). I would switch them around and try again. Once you
get the DC join to work, switch them back.

Rowland