[Samba] Van Belle Packages & Samba 4.15

Marco Shmerykowsky PE marco at sce-engineers.com
Wed Feb 22 17:35:46 UTC 2023

> On 22/02/2023 15:33, Marco Shmerykowsky PE via samba wrote:
>> Understood on the behavior of the backports.  The intent of the
>> question was does every component installed when configuring
>> samba need to be from backports (ie  apt-get install acl attr samba
>> samba-dsdb-modules samba-vfs-modules winbind libpam-winbind
>> libnss-winbind krb5-config krb5-user dnsutils) or just the package
>> 'samba'.
>>

> You could possibly use the acl, attr, krb5-config, krb5-user and
> dnsutils from the standard Debian bullseye repo, but all the Samba
> packages must come from backports if you you are going to install
> 'samba' from backports, otherwise you could end up with a mixture of
> versions (Debian will probably not allow that). If you are going to
> install some of those packages from backports, you might as well install
> all of them.
>
> Rowland

Makes sense.  However, the question started about doing
upgrades & not new installs.  It was advised to get to Bullseye
(which will essentially take samba backwards in version) and then
upgrade using the backports.

I'm presuming I just use 'apt-get upgrade' with the package list
above (from the Debian install page on the wiki) and that gets me
to the correct point without over-writing anything important?

I'm looking to upgrade active servers and just don't want anything
going wrong via Murphy's law.