[Samba] Missing Files/Missing Folders from an NFS Share

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Feb 15 21:16:04 UTC 2023

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 08:28:47PM +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>>>NFS has no real idea about user authentication and uses
>>>ipaddresses,
>>
>>True for NFSv3, not for NFSv4.
>
>But then wont it be using NFSv4acls ?

This is authentication, not authorization. NFSv4 can be configured
to use krb5 auth, so then it's not ipaddess based and is as secure
as Samba for initial connection and can be as secure as SMB3
(signing, sealing etc).

>>>in other words, you are going to have problems, at least I did
>>>when I tried it once. It may be different now, but I doubt it. If
>>>you are going to share an nfs share, just do it with nfs.
>>
>>Good advice, but mostly because NFS doesn't map completely to
>>POSIX semantics, and it also means the data goes over the
>>wire twice. Having said that, sometimes people need to do
>>this (the Amazon NFS user is a case in point) so we should
>>track down and help fix the problems when we can.
>
>I can understanding helping people when we have to, but I still think
>the best first help should be 'do not do that', closely followed by
>'upgrade Samba' :-D

Well Ralph just pointed out that NFS doesn't have a working
seekdir()/telldir()/rewinddir() which means that working code
that depends on this.... won't (work over NFS that is :-).

Always try and help people first, only later say "don't do
that". People always have a reason to be doing what they're
doing, even if we don't agree with it.

You can tell 'em you don't agree with what they're doing
without being judgemental :-).