[Samba] [jra at samba.org: Re: Missing Files/Missing Folders from an NFS Share]

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Wed Feb 15 20:35:01 UTC 2023

On 2/15/23 21:16, Jeremy Allison via samba wrote:
> Samba is merely making opendir()/readdir()/closedir() calls in a
> loop in this codepath. It's possible we may also be using seekdir()
> telldir()/rewinddir() calls, which may not be returning a consistent
> view of the directory over NFS.

this. We just recently analyzed the exact same issue for a customer.
Turned out telldir()/seekdir() just isn't stable on NFS. The fix would
be removing the use of telldir()/seekdir(), doable but non trivial.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                 https://samba.org/
SerNet Samba Team Lead      https://sernet.de/en/team-samba