[Samba] Missing Files/Missing Folders from an NFS Share

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Feb 15 20:18:08 UTC 2023

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 07:47:39PM +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>On 15/02/2023 19:01, Piviul via samba wrote:
>>Il 15/02/23 14:14, Rowland Penny via samba ha scritto:
>>>[...]
>>>I would also like to point out that sharing an NFS share with
>>>Samba, has never been a good idea.
>>Hi Rowland, can I ask you why share in samba an NFS mounted fs is
>>not a good idea?
>>
>>Piviul
>>

>NFS has no real idea about user authentication and uses ipaddresses,

True for NFSv3, not for NFSv4.

>in other words, you are going to have problems, at least I did when I
>tried it once. It may be different now, but I doubt it. If you are
>going to share an nfs share, just do it with nfs.

Good advice, but mostly because NFS doesn't map completely to
POSIX semantics, and it also means the data goes over the
wire twice. Having said that, sometimes people need to do
this (the Amazon NFS user is a case in point) so we should
track down and help fix the problems when we can.