[Samba] [jra at samba.org: Re: Missing Files/Missing Folders from an NFS Share]

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Feb 15 20:16:36 UTC 2023

Forgot to CC: the list.
----- Forwarded message from Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> -----

Cc: jra at samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] Missing Files/Missing Folders from an NFS Share

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 08:06:28PM +0100, Conor Armstrong wrote:
>   Rowland & Jeremy - thanks for this!
>   I built a copy of the latest version from github 4.19 and same issue
>   arises.
>   I will have a look at the wireshark trace and see if I can spot anything
>   obvious there.
>   I'm not an expert on this, but as far as I know NFS isn't fully POSIX
>   compliant.  I'm not sure what is different/missing and whether that is
>   causing the issue.  There must be some calls somewhere that are returning
>   different results from mounted local/block storage compared to a mounted
>   NFS share.
>   Running Samba on the server isn't an option for me as the share as it is
>   Amazon EFS.
>   Strange that smbclient sees all the files but the windows 10 client
>   doesn't.  I would have thought they interact similarly with smbd.
>   Anyway, I'll do a packet capture and see what that shows.
>   If anyone knows any other areas to focus on would be appreciated.
>   I know this issue has arisen a few times over the past couple of years and
>   never any real resolution.  Would be good to get it solved once and for
>   all.

Samba is merely making opendir()/readdir()/closedir() calls in a
loop in this codepath. It's possible we may also be using seekdir()
telldir()/rewinddir() calls, which may not be returning a consistent
view of the directory over NFS.

Get debug level 10 logs plus a wireshark trace to see what is
going on both in the fileserver and on the wire.

----- End forwarded message -----