[Samba] Domain join with realm

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Feb 10 17:36:00 UTC 2023

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 08:33:10AM +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>The problem with all this is, Samba does not write or provide realmd
>or sssd, so how can it fully provide support for them ?

It's not a matter of providing support, we can (and should) IMHO
provide basic help on interop with these tools. At the very least,
point people at the web pages where people can get deeper information.

>I know some of the Samba team work for red-hat (and have possibly
>worked on them), but they should be (in my opinion) supporting Samba
>by saying something like:
>
>Well, yes they will work with Samba, but Samba provides 'net ads join'
>and winbind and that is what is supported here, if you want support
>for realmd and sssd, you should contact red-hat'.
>
>Or, do you not have faith in the code that is written for Samba ?

Well as you know, Samba is *always* broken :-). Has been in the
30+ years I've worked on it, will be for the next 30+ years I
work on it too :-) :-) :-).

Of course, that's the same for all code, open source or proprietary :-).

>I personally will never support realmd or sssd, they appear to be
>problematical when used with Samba.

That's fine, just don't answer realmd or sssd-related questions.

Let the Red Hat Samba Team members pick up the slack. You don't
need to answer all questions or tell people why you're not responding
to a question. I ignore people on the list all the time :-).

How about just ignoring realmd or sssd questions and only answer
net  and winbind ones ?

>The other question that has to be asked is, why do people want to use
>them over the Samba tools ?

Sometimes it's not a question of "want". It can come down to corporate
policy etc. etc.