[Samba] Domain join with realm

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Feb 10 08:33:10 UTC 2023

On 10/02/2023 01:13, Andrew Bartlett via samba wrote:
> On Thu, 2023-02-09 at 09:38 -0800, Jeremy Allison via samba wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 09, 2023 at 09:55:02AM +0100, Ralph Boehme via samba
>> wrote:
>>> Again, as a community we always have and will try to help folks
>>> with
>>> everything Samba related, including stuff "we do not write". It's
>>> of
>>> course each individual's choice on which stuff he is able and
>>> willing
>>> to help. In doubt, I personally just don't reply to the list, but
>>> instead just stay in read only mode and see if there's anything I
>>> can
>>> learn.
>>
>> Indeed - well said Ralph. I personally see this lists as kind
>> of a grab-bag of "All Things SMB" :-).
>>
>> There isn't really a forum for SMB 1/2/3 protocol users and
>> implementors (although samba-technical is probably a better
>> list for implementors) and this list is the closest thing
>> we have.
>>
>> We're all in this crazy protocol world together, and we
>> all do better when we help each other, even if Samba
>> isn't directly involved. We all know sooner or later
>> it will be as we are the universal glue between Windows
>> and non-Windows systems :-) :-).
>
> I strongly agree, but from the AD DC perspective. Many things integrate
> with Active Directory, and integrating with Samba is often
> straightforward and so 'just works'. However some things are a little
> different with Samba (like how to generate a keytab), and we should do our best to help because users who can integrate Samba well with their network become happy long-term users and supporters.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

The problem with all this is, Samba does not write or provide realmd or
sssd, so how can it fully provide support for them ?
I know some of the Samba team work for red-hat (and have possibly worked
on them), but they should be (in my opinion) supporting Samba by saying
something like:

Well, yes they will work with Samba, but Samba provides 'net ads join'
and winbind and that is what is supported here, if you want support for
realmd and sssd, you should contact red-hat'.

Or, do you not have faith in the code that is written for Samba ?

I personally will never support realmd or sssd, they appear to be
problematical when used with Samba.

The other question that has to be asked is, why do people want to use
them over the Samba tools ?

Rowland