[Samba] Domain join with realm

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 10 01:13:40 UTC 2023

On Thu, 2023-02-09 at 09:38 -0800, Jeremy Allison via samba wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2023 at 09:55:02AM +0100, Ralph Boehme via samba
> wrote:
> > Again, as a community we always have and will try to help folks
> > with
> > everything Samba related, including stuff "we do not write". It's
> > of
> > course each individual's choice on which stuff he is able and
> > willing
> > to help. In doubt, I personally just don't reply to the list, but
> > instead just stay in read only mode and see if there's anything I
> > can
> > learn.
>
> Indeed - well said Ralph. I personally see this lists as kind
> of a grab-bag of "All Things SMB" :-).
>
> There isn't really a forum for SMB 1/2/3 protocol users and
> implementors (although samba-technical is probably a better
> list for implementors) and this list is the closest thing
> we have.
>
> We're all in this crazy protocol world together, and we
> all do better when we help each other, even if Samba
> isn't directly involved. We all know sooner or later
> it will be as we are the universal glue between Windows
> and non-Windows systems :-) :-).

I strongly agree, but from the AD DC perspective. Many things integrate
with Active Directory, and integrating with Samba is often
straightforward and so 'just works'. However some things are a little
different with Samba (like how to generate a keytab), and we should do our best to help because users who can integrate Samba well with their network become happy long-term users and supporters.

Andrew Bartlett

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions