[Samba] Domain join with realm

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Thu Feb 9 08:55:02 UTC 2023

> Why are we even talking about providing support for something that Samba
> does not provide ?

This list is open for discussing any Samba related topic.

There's a lot "we don not provide" but we still can try to help folks.
This list is not a commercial support line where we push best practices
down peoples throat. Samba often works with other components outside of
what we might consider the most simple, obvious and sane setup, so
instead of pushing people away, our advice should be a bit more
constructive.

> If I remember correctly, there used to be a Samba wikipage about using
> sssd, but it was removed because Samba could not support sssd because
> Samba does not write it.

Again, as a community we always have and will try to help folks with
everything Samba related, including stuff "we do not write". It's of
course each individual's choice on which stuff he is able and willing to
help. In doubt, I personally just don't reply to the list, but instead
just stay in read only mode and see if there's anything I can learn.

> In my opinion, the best place for information about realmd and sssd is
> in the red-hat controlled wikis.

To give you some context: often in enterprise environments the use of
certain tools is mandatory and we've had regular discussions with
customers about stuff like sssd vs winbindd in nsswitch. Often the use
of sssd is mandatory and not being able to make Samba work with that,
may result in Samba being replaced altogether with a different software
stack.

So documenting what works and what might not work, of course possibly
linking to external documentation instead of replicating what's
available elsewhere, help our community and project in the long run.

Thanks!
-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                 https://samba.org/