[Samba] Domain join with realm

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Thu Feb 9 08:27:47 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 9 February 2023 09:09:09 CET Ralph Boehme wrote:
> On 2/9/23 09:02, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>
> > Realmd, sssd etc were written by red-hat for use against FreeIPA and
> > hence that is what red-hat supports.
>

> fwiw, I don't think this is the full picture. Iirc sssd and the tooling
> are designed to join Linux systems to a several directory services,
> FreeIPA being one of them, AD and pure LDAP are others.
>
> In fact, iirc, the realm join command, depending on arguments, actually
> uses net ads join to join to AD.
>
> Ideally we would have something on the wiki that explains this.
> @Andreas: would you be able to start a wiki page with a quick overview
> this stuff?

I think the right way would be to link to Fedora or RHEL documentation.
However the Fedora documentation looks outdated.

Fedora:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/latest/system-administrators-guide/servers/File_and_Print_Servers/#sect-Samba

RHEL:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9/html/
configuring_and_using_network_file_services/assembly_using-samba-as-a-
server_configuring-and-using-network-file-services#proc_joining-samba-to-a-
domain_assembly_setting-up-samba-as-an-ad-domain-member-server

@Marc Can update the Fedora docs and sync them with RHEL9 docs?

However we suggest to join an AD domain using realmd:

realm join --membership-software=samba --client-software=winbind
ad.example.com

This will join using 'net' command, setup PAM, NSS, KRB5 and systemd to start
and enable the winbind.service.

Best regards

	Andreas

Andreas Schneider                      asn at samba.org
Samba Team                             www.samba.org
GPG-ID:     8DFF53E18F2ABC8D8F3C92237EE0FC4DCC014E3D