[Samba] Domain join with realm

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Feb 9 08:25:21 UTC 2023

On 09/02/2023 08:09, Ralph Boehme wrote:
> On 2/9/23 09:02, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>> Realmd, sssd etc were written by red-hat for use against FreeIPA and
>> hence that is what red-hat supports.
>
> fwiw, I don't think this is the full picture. Iirc sssd and the tooling
> are designed to join Linux systems to a several directory services,
> FreeIPA being one of them, AD and pure LDAP are others.
>
> In fact, iirc, the realm join command, depending on arguments, actually
> uses net ads join to join to AD.
>
> Ideally we would have something on the wiki that explains this.
> @Andreas: would you be able to start a wiki page with a quick overview
> this stuff?
>
> -slow

Why are we even talking about providing support for something that Samba
does not provide ?

If I remember correctly, there used to be a Samba wikipage about using
sssd, but it was removed because Samba could not support sssd because
Samba does not write it.

In my opinion, the best place for information about realmd and sssd is
in the red-hat controlled wikis.

Rowland