[Samba] Domain join with realm

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Feb 9 08:02:23 UTC 2023

On 08/02/2023 21:28, Vaughan, Robert J via samba wrote:

>> The LDAP client is also Fedora 37, Samba client version also 4.17.5;
>> this host is joined to the Samba AD domain using "realm join ...".
>
>>> This is, in my opinion, the wrong way of joining, you should have used
>>> 'net ads join'.
>
>>> Rowland
>
> Hi Rowland,
>
> I have noticed several times you have warned against using 'realm join' when that is the method Red Hat wants to use - can you elaborate on why this is an issue for Samba?  We only have domain members (no Samba DC)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert Vaughan

Realmd, sssd etc were written by red-hat for use against FreeIPA and
hence that is what red-hat supports. If you are using Samba, then you
should use the method that Samba provides and supports to join computers
to a domain.

I do not use realm etc, so I cannot provide support, but I have seen
reports of joins not working correctly with realm and that sssd can be
flaky.

Rowland