[Samba] SMB Multichannel not working?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Feb 8 17:29:43 UTC 2023

On Wed, Feb 08, 2023 at 05:19:44PM +0000, Carter Sheehan wrote:
>   Jeremy,
>   I am still looking into getting more debug logs from the Samba server but
>   I wanted to ask you where the details about the tcon bits are? I can't
>   seem to find the info in my wireshark capture, maybe I'm looking at the
>   wrong packet. Which packet(s) were you looking at?

In your Windows -> Samba trace, it's packet number 14 (Tree Connect Response).

Expand that packet out with wireshark and you'll see at the end
of the reply.

Access Mask: 0x001f00a9

>   Also, I wanted to share that I realized we exclusively access these shares
>   as a "guest" which should be mapped to the "samba-client" user on the
>   Samba host. But, when looking at the session setup packets I noticed the
>   user in the requests were "sso-csheehan" which is my local user on the
>   Windows client side. I am wondering if this is potentially the culprit of
>   my problem and what would be more appropriate instead.

If this share should be read-write, pick an appropriate
user that exists on the server with read-write access to
that data. As I don't know anything about your setup,
that's the only advice I can give.

Avoid "guest" with SMB2+ if you can.