[Samba] 4.13 -> 4.16: cannot see shares

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Wed Feb 8 13:06:07 UTC 2023

Hello.

Yesterday I upgraded a AD member filserver from 4.13 to 4.16: this I've
done several times without troubles, but in this particular case it
didn't go so well.

In fact now clients cannot enumerate shares: when an user connects to
\\fileserver, he either sees an empty folder or only his home (in a non
deterministic way).
Other shares can be normally accessed by explicitly typing them; i.e.
\\fileserver\share1 works properly.
This can also be tested with "smbclient -L //fileserver".

testparm shows no warnings and there's also no error in the logs.

Any hint?

  bye & Thanks
	av.

----- smb.conf extract -----
[global]
         max log size=0

         vfs objects=full_audit

         audit:facility=LOCAL7
         audit:priority=INFO
         full_audit:success=all !closedir !connectpath !fdopendir
!openat !readdir !realpath !stat !telldir
         full_audit:failure=all !get_real_filename !stat !translate_name
         full_audit:facility=LOCAL7
         full_audit:priority=INFO
         full_audit: prefix = IP=%I | USER=%u | MACHINE=%m | VOLUME=%S

         netbios name=FILESERVER
         security = ADS
         workgroup = XXXXXXX
         realm=ad.xxxxxxxx.it
         bind interfaces only=yes
         interfaces=re1 192.168.xxx.7
         hosts allow = 10.x.x.xx 10.x.0. 127. 192.168.xxx.0/24
         map archive = No
         winbind refresh tickets = yes
         winbind use default domain = yes
         idmap config *:backend = tdb
         idmap config *:range = 100000-999999
         template homedir = /home/%U
         idmap config XXXXXXX:backend = rid
         idmap config XXXXXXX:range = 10000-99999
         idmap config XXXXXXX:schema_mode = rfc2307
         idmap config XXXXXXX:unix_nss_info = yes
         hide dot files=no
         unix extensions=no
         mangled names=no
         bind interfaces only=yes
         #Per le scansioni:
         server min protocol = NT1

[vtrap]
         path=/usr/local/netfence/var/shares/vtrap
         public=yes
         browseable=yes
         writeable=yes
         follow symlinks=no