[Samba] Replication between Samba DCs (on different sites)?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 8 12:09:25 UTC 2023

On 08/02/2023 11:58, Lorenzo Milesi via samba wrote:

>> That thread referred to a domain that had started out as an early AD dns
>> system, which is different from what is used now. However, I do not
>> really think it can have anything to do with with your domain, mainly
>> because you have two fully working DC's. If you had the old dns system,
>> all of your DC's would have the old dns system.
>
> The fact that dc2 isn't listed as DNS for the domain?
>
> # dig wdc.domain.it ns +short
> dc1.wdc.domain.it.
> dc3.wdc.domain.it.
>
> Can have any relevance?

Very probably, if you have three DC's, then they should all be shown by
your command.

Does every DC have an /etc/resolv.conf that looks like this:

search wdc,domain.it
nameserver THE_DC_IP

where 'THE_DC_IP' is the ipaddress of the DC.

There is script 'samba_dnsupdate' that should run at Samba startup and
then every 10 minutes, this uses a file called 'dns_update_list' and
should create/maintain several dns records for the DC in AD, amongst
them are the DC's A and NS records.

Rowland