[Samba] long delays with file enumeration & listing in large data storage environment

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 8 08:48:13 UTC 2023

On 08/02/2023 01:07, CaptainTrips28 via samba wrote:

> -------------------------------
>
> CURRENT SMB.CONF   (I've had to replace the domain/share/host details for
> privacy):
>
> -------------------------------
>
> [global]
>
>          security = ADS
>
>          workgroup = DOMAIN
>
>          realm = DOMAIN
>
>          machine password timeout = 0
>
>          idmap config * : backend = tdb
>
>          idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
>
>          idmap config DOMAIN.COM:backend = ad
>
>          idmap config DOMAIN.COM:schema_mode = rfc2307
>
>          idmap config DOMAIN.COM:range = 1617000000-1617999999
>
>          idmap config DOMAIN.COM:unix_nss_info = yes

Can we rule out what may just be typo's/bad sanitising.

Your workgroup and realm are both set to 'DOMAIN', they shouldn't be the
same, they can be, but it wouldn't be best practice, The realm should be
the dns domain in uppercase and the workgroup (or to give it its other
name 'NetBIOS domain name') is usually the lefthand portion of the dns
domain, again in uppercase. For example, if the dns domain is
samdom.example.com, then the realm would be SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM and the
workgroup could be SAMDOM (though it doesn't have to be, it can be
anything, preferably one short word without dots).

There is a further complication in that you are using 'DOMAIN.COM' on
the 'idmap config' lines, this should be whatever the 'workgroup' is set
to and if that is what the 'workgroup' is set to, then I refer you back
to my comment about the dots in a workgroup name.

I would also remove the 'hostname lookups = yes' line

Rowland