[Samba] long delays with file enumeration & listing in large data storage environment

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Wed Feb 8 08:47:11 UTC 2023

On 2/8/23 09:29, Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold Aktiengesellschaft via samba
wrote:
> Directory listings from our MacOS clients took a big hit when we
> switched from AFP shares and SMB shares from our old Mac OS Server to
> the new debian fileserver with samba shares.
>
> Especially opening big directories with AFP is blazingly fast, while in
> samba it takes forever. E. g. we have a directory with 37k
> subdirectories and 245k files in one level. Opening this dir on a Mac
> via a samba share take approx. 9 minutes. Our advice was to reduce the
> amount of files in a single directory and create cronjobs that
> automatically moves files into subdirectories.

Apple designed a few SMB2 protocol extensions that improve directory
listing performance and Samba implements those in vfs_fruit.
Additionally latest macos since a few releases has additinoal
improvements that should improve listing regardless of these extensions.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                 https://samba.org/
SerNet Samba Team Lead      https://sernet.de/en/team-samba