[Samba] SMB Multichannel not working?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Feb 6 19:17:41 UTC 2023

On Sun, Feb 05, 2023 at 09:11:41PM +0000, Carter Sheehan wrote:
>   Jeremy,
>   I am clearing the contents of the packet capture with my security team and
>   I'll have it available to you some time tomorrow.
>   Regarding protocol negotiation, I have tried using some of the available
>   server/client min/max protocol config options for smb.conf hoping it would
>   "force" the use of SMB3+ but I still see the same SMB/SMBv2 packets in a
>   wireshark capture and both the client and server display the connection as
>   using dialect 3_11, so that doesn't seem to have any impact whatsoever for
>   me.

This is a clients feature I think, not controllable on the server-side.

When connecting to an unknown server a Windows client tries the SMB1->SMB2+
upgrade.

Just remove SMB1 from this client.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-v2-v3?tabs=server

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-v2-v3?tabs=server#how-to-remove-smbv1-via-powershell