[Samba] Elasticsearch authentication

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 21:38:18 UTC 2023

Hi Noel, Awen, Ralph,

I am setting up elasticsearch (or actually opensearch) to work with
fscrawler. I am using the wiki page for spotlight
(https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Spotlight_with_Elasticsearch_Backend)
as the starting point.

Since my opensearch instance does not live in the same container as the
Samba fileserver I want to have some security on the connection between
the two.

The man page for smb.conf has a lot of elasticsearch options but nothing
for authentication. Further research pointed me to a thread on this list
between Awen and Ralph:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2021-March/235105.html

Awen has made an MR but it still seems to be under review
(https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/1847/).

Is there anything that can be done to get this merged? Or is there
another (better) solution to pass credentials from samba to
elasticsearch / opensearch?

- Kees.