[Samba] AD DC DNS forwarder question

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Feb 3 21:24:48 UTC 2023

On 03/02/2023 21:12, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have set up a 3rd DC in my domain, as I'm going to decommision old
> stuff, and bring everything up to date. Everything seems OK so far.
>
> According to the Wiki, the DNS forwarder should be set in smb.conf.
> Should I set it in smb.conf on every DC?
>
> Is it not possible to use the RSAT-tools and set forwarders in the
> domain? That to me would seem the most logical.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter

If you are using the internal dns server, then you need to set the dns
forwarder(s) in each DC's smb.conf, that is where the server expects to
find them. If you use Bind9, then the forwarders go in the named.conf
files, because that is where Bind9 expects to find them. I wouldn't know
where Windows puts them, but perhaps, where ever it is, it is somewhere
were the Windows dns server expects to find them.

Rowland