[Samba] Searching Samba share file contents

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 12:25:01 UTC 2023

On 03-02-2023 12:31, npower wrote:

> On 03/02/2023 11:07, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:
>> Hi Noel,
>>
>> I would be interested in getting this working. There are a few
>> obstacles however:
>>
>> - Do you really need java and elasticsearch? Would it be feasible to
>> use something more lightweight like xapian?
>
> In theory yes, but I have already got it working previously with
> elasticsearch, elasticsearch is hugely scaleable (so additionally
> probably would be attractive to corporations).
>
> I have at least a little (hard won) idea about the integration needed
> to convert the WSP queries to elasticsearch, I have no idea about
> xapian (which to be honest I hadn't heard about) what it supports and
> what is needed to convert WSP queries to something it understands.
> Also there is some crossover too with the spotlight support which also
> supports elasticsearch (so there is already some knowledge about it
> with other here)
>
> So in short I don't intend to work on getting a different indexer to
> work right now, but internally the server has a generic api so
> different backends should be possible in the future.
>
> If you are still interested in testing it out with elasticsearch let
> me know
>
> Noel

Makes sense, elastic it is.

Next question: would it be possible to use share an elastic instance
with other applications? I have also dovecot indexing and I am busy
setting up wazuh, it would be nice not to have 3 separate elastic
instances in 3 containers.

Using opensearch instead of elastic should not be an issue or is it?