[Samba] Searching Samba share file contents

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 11:07:53 UTC 2023

On 03-02-2023 11:37, npower via samba wrote:
> Resending (maillist subscription error) apologies if you are receiving
> this again
>
> On 03/02/2023 10:34, npower wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> While I don't have a version that works against recent versions of
>> samba I'd be happy to work on getting something working that you
>> could test against if you were interested :-)
>>
>> I haven't abandoned the whole idea of integrating this but it is a
>> question of time (and interest from others). In order for the search
>> capability to work you will need to run and configure an indexer on
>> the server (samba) side to catalog the files to be searched.
>>
>> Note: in previous iterations of the code I used gnome-tracker for
>> this purpose, however... for any new iteration of this code I don't
>> intend to support gnome-tracker but would support elasticsearch
>> instead, it's easier to configure/run and is a better match for the
>> search capabilities that the windows side expects.
>>
>> To use and test this you would need to:
>>
>>   * build samba from source OR I could provide a SUSE repository that
>> could be used with opensuse systems
>>
>>   * use filecrawler https://fscrawler.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ to
>> populate the elasticsearch index
>>
>>   * configure elasticsearch
>> https://www.elastic.co/products/elasticsearch
>>
>> let me know if you are interested :-)
>>
>> Noel
Hi Noel,

I would be interested in getting this working. There are a few obstacles
however:

- Do you really need java and elasticsearch? Would it be feasible to use
something more lightweight like xapian?

- I am currently using mjt's debian repo (for debian bullseye). I guess
my best option is to build the packages myself from mjt's debian source
with your extra patches and compile options. Not a big issue but it
takes some time to set that up :-)

- Kees.