[Samba] Failed to convert SID to a UID for a computer

Norbert Hanke norbert.hanke at gmx.ch
Thu Feb 2 19:06:06 UTC 2023

On 25.01.2023 18:36, tizo via samba wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 2:14 PM tizo <tizone at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the response Rowland. After setting an UID manually for one
>> of the Windows computers, Samba is logging another message on the file
>> servers (multiple times in a row, maybe more times than the previous
>> message):
>>
>> [2023/01/25 14:09:35.198587,  0]
>> ../../source3/auth/auth_util.c:1937(check_account)
>>    check_account: Failed to find local account with UID XXXXXXXXX for
>> SID S-X-X-XX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXX
>> (dom_user[SMB\host-xxx$])
>>
>> Is that normal too?. How could we avoid it?.
>>
> I could solve this one by adding a gidNumber to the computer, but
> after that another message started to be logged
> (chdir_current_service: vfs_ChDir(/XX/XX) failed: Permission denied.
> Current token:.....). So I will undo all the changes and let the first
> message be.

You just fixed the machine account to be properly mapped to a UID and GID.

Now some service on that system makes use of that account to access a
directory on the server where it does not have access.

That is perfect behaviour of the server. And it's a bad habit of many
software products to install a service that then tries to access some
user's files. It's successfully blocked by the server.

  to be recognized, by assigning UID and GID)