[Samba] SMB Multichannel not working?

Carter Sheehan csheehan at vestmark.com
Thu Feb 2 17:19:50 UTC 2023

Rowland,

Here are a few screenshots of the protocol negotiation packets between my client (172.27.252.57) and my Samba server (172.27.252.11): https://imgur.com/a/nXk3QRV
[https://i.imgur.com/wCcFvhc.png?fb]<https://imgur.com/a/nXk3QRV>
imgur.com<https://imgur.com/a/nXk3QRV>
Imgur: The magic of the Internet
imgur.com

In the screenshots, there is an initial SMB request from the client (no capabilities specified), an SMBv2 reply from the server stating it does NOT support multi channel, a 2nd request from the client (now in SMBv2 protocol), and an SMBv2 reply from the server saying it supports multichannel. The two replies from the server contradict one another. The "Session Request" packets after the protocol negotiations show the session request did not have multichannel enabled. I suspect this is because the client saw the first protocol negotiation reply that said the server did not support multichannel and so the client did not enable multichannel in it's request for a session.

Carter Sheehan
Cloud Engineer
o: +1 (781) 224-7753<tel:+1%20(781)%20224-7753>
e: csheehan at vestmark.com<mailto:csheehan at vestmark.com>

This e-mail and any attachments hereto, are intended for use by the addressee(s) only and may contain information that is confidential information of Vestmark, Inc. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, or if you have otherwise received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me by telephone or by e-mail, and please permanently delete the original, any print outs and any copies of the foregoing. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.