[Samba] winbind for nsswitch, without AD membership

cYuSeDfZfb cYuSeDfZfb cyusedfzfb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 10:10:02 UTC 2023

Hi,

I am setting up a standalone samba server (with tdbsam) on RHEL9,
following the immaculate samba wiki:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server

The user creation flow described in the standalone scenario is:

- create a system user (useradd ) with password
- create a samba user (smbpasswd) with password

In my previous work, I have always used domain member servers with
security = ADS /  winbind idmap 'ad' backend / winbind for local linux
users.

My question: is it possible to use winbind with autorid & tdbsam (and
security = user) to avoid the requirement to generate each user TWICE?

MJ