[Samba] Using separate packages for a DC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 1 17:50:41 UTC 2023

On Wed, 2023-02-01 at 11:16 +0000, miguel medalha via samba wrote:
> It certainly would be nice to have distinct 'smb.conf' and 'samba.conf' files.
>
> Each one would have its own manual page containing only the parameters that apply to each case, AD DC and regular file server.
>
> The current situation, mixing parameters that apply and don't apply to a DC is somewhat confusing to many users.

That is certainly an understandable request.  As the AD DC is a
superset, it would still take all the file-server parameters.

We are trying to make as many parameters act globally as possible, as
we continue our decade-and-longer quest to merge the codebases, but
sadly it has taken much longer than is reasonable.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett (he/him) https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba