[Samba] Hanging, uninterruptible smbd-process in "D"-state

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Wed Feb 1 10:38:03 UTC 2023

On 2/1/23 10:18, Rainer Krienke via samba wrote:
> Since the process is in state "D" its not killable and the only
> solution is a reboot of the samba server itself which of course is an
> "ugly" solution.

as for "D" state: ask the the kernel, that's out of Samba's control. You
can start with a /proc/PID/stack to find out where in the kernel the
process is stuck, my guess would be somewhere in the NFS code.

As pointed out by Rowland, resharing NFS should be avoided by all means.
It will work initially and then it will bite you hard at some point. :)

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                 https://samba.org/
SerNet Samba Team Lead      https://sernet.de/en/team-samba