[Samba] Using separate packages for a DC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 1 07:56:32 UTC 2023

On Wed, 2023-02-01 at 09:45 +0300, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:
> Or maybe it's better to spend efforts in building whole thing with MIT,
> fixing the issues and removing the -experimental- tag from this DC.

I've not had to time to write it up, but the issues here as as much
process as they are software.

For better or worse we know how to do a security release with the
vendored Heimdal, but it will be a significant challenge to promptly
make the kind of security releases we have made in the past with
additional cross-project coordination, yet also secrecy, needed to do
this with a not-bundled MIT.  Do imagine for a moment convincing the
MIT packager to update the MIT version to a new pre-release snapshot to
fix a samba-specific security issue, or else manually backporting those
changes to whatever release Debian is shipping, if that is even
possible.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett (he/him) https://samba.org/~abartlet/