[Samba] Joining Windows 10 Domain Member to Samba AD/DC

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Fri Dec 15 07:36:33 UTC 2023

On Thu Dec 14 22:49:33 2023 Mark Foley via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu Dec 14 19:27:29 2023 Matt Savin <matt at tegers.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Mark,
> >
> > When joining the domain, did you specify domain name as hprs.locl, or hprs
> > only? Please try to specify hprs.locl.
> >
> > BR,
> > Matt
>
> Matt - yes I did specify hprs.locl. I just tried it again and it failed again.
> This time I opened the "Detail" box which says:
>
> -------------------
> The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "hprs.locl":
>
> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>
> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.hprs.locl
>
> Common causes of this error include the following:
>
> - The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:
>
> 192.168.0.1
>
> - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:
>
> hprs.locl
> locl
> . (the root zone)
> ------------------
>
> This looks significant. The IP of the DC is 192.168.0.2: dc1.hprs.locl.  IP
> 192.168.0.1 is the Internet facing router and LAN DHCP server and is DC1's "dns
> forwarder".
>
> I'm guessing the Windows computer should be querying 192.168.0.2, not the
> router? What do you think? If so, how would I make it do that?

Yay! It works! The above error gave me the clue. I set the domain member to a
static IP (for now) and set the DNS to 192.168.0.2 (my DC) instead of the
router/dhcp-server at 192.168.0.1. The latter is still the gateway.

I then tried just joining the domain via Windows normal "Rename this PC
(advanced)", which is what I tried to do below, and that worked. I then unjoined
the domain and ran the ForensiT Transwiz tool to both migrate the domain user to
the new DC and join the domain. That also worked!!

The current/old DC uses --dns-backend=BIND9_FLATFILE so the whole DHCP and DNS
resolution was a different game. With that config the Windows computer "just
knew" to connect to the DC as the DNS. More experimentation needed with this new
SAMBA_INTERNAL backend.

When I logged in as the domain user it had some trouble because it's looking for
things (e.g.  Desktop) in the 'Redirected Folders' and on the NAS (not
connected), but otherwise it does look like the profile migrated.

Next step is to configure Group Policies, including Redirected Folders.

So far so good. Thanks to all for your help thus far!!!

Thanks -- Mark