[Samba] Permission denied while trying to setup share with RSAT

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Wed Dec 13 08:34:45 UTC 2023

On 12.12.2023 20:00, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:

> On 12.12.2023 19:46, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 19:34:20 +0100
>> Peter Milesson via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Rowland,
>>>
>>> Just one more bit of information. I don't think it is relevant, but
>>> who knows. All servers are VMs that I migrated from Xen to Qemu/KVM a
>>> week ago. The VMs are running off of LVM volumes (like before).
>>>
>>> I have also checked Apparmor. Samba is not under Apparmor control.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> I have heard of VMs where root doesn't work, could this be your problem
>> ?
>>
>> I ask this because I use Oracle virtual box and it works for myself,
>> with Apparmor !
>>
>> Rowland

Hi folks,

I finally found the culprit. When setting up shares with RSAT you must
not activate

acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes

until AFTER setting up share security.

This statement is incredibly easy to miss in the Samba Wiki! It should
be contained in the warning above the section. See

Best regards,

Peter