[Samba] creating a machine account for a Windows VM from the command line

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Tue Dec 12 01:43:19 UTC 2023

I had the need to access a Windows 10 VM but discovered I was locked
out. I have the passwords for the domain administrator and a domain user
but I get an error "The security database one the server does not have a
computer account for this workstation trust relationship".

I normally have a local user account to log in with but its password
isn't the one I remember.

There are various convoluted ways to try to reset a Windows password for
a VM, but I'm hoping that there is a way to add the computer account
back in without having to do that or set up a new VM.