[Samba] Failed to store repsFrom - Indexed and full searches both failed!

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Dec 9 16:56:27 UTC 2023

On Sat, 9 Dec 2023 13:20:39 -0300
Elias Pereira via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> hello,
>
> Using the same server, hostname, and IP, I performed an offline
> demotion of dc4 because the online demotion resulted in an error.
>
> After the offline demotion, I checked via RSAT, and the entries had
> been removed.
>
> Later...
> - I deleted the .tdb and .ldb files.
> - I executed the provisioning command.

I thought that you were replacing one existing DC in a multi DC domain,
if so, you do not 'provision', you 'join' a new DC.
Can you please post the exact command you used.

> - I backed up the idmap.ldb and copied it to dc4 using rsync.
> - I performed rsync of the sysvol folder.
> - I executed the command "samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset."
> - I recreated the bind entries via "samba_upgradedns
> --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL" and again with "samba_upgradedns
> --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ."

Not sure why you are doing that, if you are going to use Bind9, why not
just join with '--dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ' ?

> I restarted bind and samba, tested "drs showrepl" and
> "samba_dnsupdate," and they were okay.
>
> I left a tail running on the log, and after some time, the error
> "Failed to store repsFrom - Indexed and full searches both failed!"
> returned.
>
> Is there still a chance to use the same hostname and IP, or do I need
> to change everything?

Provided that there are no records in AD for the DC, you should be able
to use the old hostname and IP.

Rowland